Friday, March 21, 2014

Two-Tone Table, revisited

My love for farmhouse tables continues unabated, but I took a little break from that style this past week or so.

When I showed you the Wide Farmhouse Table I made for my friend Stacy, I mentioned that I had previously refinished another table for her, but it was looking a little worse for the wear after a few years with a family of boys!

My job was to make it beautiful again.  What do you think?

Stacy's Table 005

Here’s what it looked like when I got it:

Stacy 004-1

stairs 035

And here’s what it looked like after the first re-finish job:

chocolatetable2 003

After some good hard family use, there were some real problems:

PicMonkey Collage

Not sure why my cell phone photos look a little blue!  Anyway, there was chipped paint, naturally.  And then the finish on the top of the table went very cloudy in places.  I blame an inferior polyurethane I got from Ace Hardware (sorry, Ace), as that is the only time I’ve ever used it, and I hated it even then!  I actually still had the same can in my stash…I have now gotten rid of it

photo 4

I chose to use CitriStrip to get rid of the old poly, rather than sanding it down.  There really was no need to go back to bare wood, as I still liked the original colors underneath.

Stacy's Table 009

I did, however, refresh the color with a new coat of stain before putting on the polyurethane.  This time I used three coats of Minwax Hand-rubbed Polyurethane in Satin, followed by one coat of paste wax.

Stacy's Table 003

The chairs got a light sanding, and then I repainted with oil-based paint this time.  It tends to be a little more long-wearing, I think.  I recovered the seats in this pretty fabric.  You know I’m a sucker for typography!!

Stacy's Table 001

I love how the leaves on this table tuck away neatly underneath.  Pull them both out, and you have another 30” of table space!  Such a great feature.

Stacy's Table 002

I adore the legs on this piece…

Stacy's Table 006

I am so glad I got to be the one to give this set a THIRD life!

Stacy's Table 010

I have to say…it really looked gorgeous in my dining room!  It was hard to let it go…again!

Stacy's Table 011

What do you think??  Is there room in your life for both rustic farmhouse tables and beautiful antiques?  There is in mine!

***************************

Linking up here:

The Inspiration Exchange Elizabeth & Co.
Primitive & Proper  
Friday Remodelaholic The Scoop!
Funky Junk’s Saturday Night Special The DIY Show Off
Miss Mustard Seed
Beyond the Picket Fence Coastal Charm
Knick of Time
Domestically Speaking
Common Ground My Repurposed Life
  Mod Vintage Life

15 comments:

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Wow Korrie, you really brought that table back to life yet again! The finish looks absolutely flawless! And the most interesting homes have a mix of styles!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Korrie,
You sure did make it look better...love the new fabric. Yes...I like those legs too.

Blessings,
Linda

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Beautiful set, Korrie! I love that table ~ it's got so much going for it from how the leaves store to those great legs. Love them on the chairs, too. I have a chair with a different back but the same type of legs. The fabric you used looks really good with the black.

Unknown said...

GORGEOUS!! I too love the farmhouse look :)

Blessings!
Gail

knuckstermom said...

What a great re fresh!

Sherri said...

Korrie, what a beautiful job you did! That table and chairs looks so awesome! I really love everything about both the table and chairs. I'm so into the writing on the chair fabric! I love that style!

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

You always do a great job. Love the wood color.

SImple and Serene Living said...

It looks beautiful, Korrie. xo Laura

Kristin said...

I love the fabric on the chairs! It goes so well with the rich tones of the wood. Great job!

My Repurposed Life said...

wow! amazing Korrie!!! I love the new look of this set. You did a fabulous job on all of it, but I am in love with the table top. absolutely beautiful!!

hand rubbed poly? Paste wax over that? It looks fabulous!

gail

A Bit of Colour said...

You did a wonderful job with the table. I appreciate any wood working projects. I have done many in my past. I love farmhouse tables, as I have one too! Your work is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Looks fantastic! This caught my eye because I used that same fabric for one of my projects. Hobby Lobby is the best isn't it?!

Unknown said...

The deck looks great, and I'm glad you have winter holding off a bit. How are the temperments of the Lavender Orpingtons? chicken houses

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

Love the black and wood combo - it's so warm! I'm featuring it in this week's Power of Paint Party Spotlight over at PowerofPaint.net

Debbie Cadene said...

I love the black and wood stain mix. I was wondering what color black that is.

Debbie.