Tuesday, August 6, 2013

For the Birds: a dining set

My dining room has been “full” for a little while again, and it has been so nice!  A friend of mine was moving and didn’t want to take her dining set with her…and I just happened to be willing to take it off her hands!

The sad part is that I canNOT find my “before” pictures.  I remember taking them…really I do!  But they are not to be found, either on my phone or my camera.

Suffice it to say that the finish on the top of the table was utterly shot, one of the chairs had a large hole in the caning, and the seat cushions were stained and dog-hairy.

This version, I think, is much better!

Red Hen Home:  Bird Dining Set

I will admit it took me a looonnnggg time to finish this project!  I got the table top stained and the body and chairs painted, and then they sat…and sat…and sat.  It was WEEKS before I replaced the caning (using my tried-true kitchen tools, as shown here)  put the poly on the top and glazed and distressed everything else.

Red Hen Home:  Bird Dining Set

I don’t know why I waited so long!

Red Hen Home:  Bird Dining Set

I love the pretty legs on this piece.

Red Hen Home:  Bird Dining Set

And I really love the seat fabric!  I ordered it from Fabric. com here (it’s called Richloom Birdwatcher Meadow).  I am such a sucker for birds, and I think the whole dining set re-do was just an excuse to use this fabric!  If you love the fabric like I do…they have a couple other color options.  I chose to go with the more “neutral” one, but my heart was really pulled toward the Meadow colorway

Red Hen Home:  Bird Dining Set

You can see my Milk & Cream lazy susan made an appearance on the newly finished table…it’s always fun to put a few new things together!

***************************

Linking up here:

The Inspiration Exchange Elizabeth & Co.
Primitive & Proper Thrifty Décor Chick
Friday Remodelaholic The Scoop!
Funky Junk’s Saturday Night Special The DIY Show Off
Miss Mustard Seed
Beyond the Picket Fence Coastal Charm
Knick of Time
Domestically Speaking
Perfectly Imperfect No Minimalist Here
Common Ground My Repurposed Life
From My Front Porch to Yours
A Little Knick Knack

19 comments:

Debra@CommonGround said...

I love it, what a great set. and love, love, love that fabric!!

Twice Nice said...

That fabric is Fantastic! What a pretty piece this is. Enjoy it!

Unknown said...

You did a great job! Love the fabric!!

Suzie @ Dorothy Sue and Millie B's too

Sarah Tolman said...

you. are. amazing.

Full Circle Creations said...

Your table turned out great and I like that fabric!

Vickie said...

What a pleasant surprise that must be for your guests to pull out a chair and be greeted by birds. That is really clever!

Hetty said...

This dining room set looks fabulous and I absolutely love the fabric!

Cassie Bustamante said...

gorgeous! that fabric is perfection- colorful and pretty and it has birds! :)

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

great table!
that little lazy susan is cute too.
I also like that little birdie fabric. :)
Pat

Bliss said...

Like everyone else I can't help but notice that fabric, it's awesome.
Bliss

Jaime Costiglio said...

Korrie it's so fresh and perfectly beautiful it practically sings! You make it look effortless despite knowing that it probably took you hours and hours to finish all those pieces. really nice.

Christy James said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I feel your pain, I just finished a dining set myself, although my stain job leaves something to be desired! Yours is fantastic! XO

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Just beautiful Korrie and that fabric is swoon worthy!

Homeroad said...

Korrie this is just beautiful! I also love the bird pattern in the fabric... what a beautiful and classy set!
Great job!
Susan

Gretchen said...

so pretty! I love cane chairs, and that fabric is perfect--neutral but so fun :)

My Repurposed Life said...

I love your new to you set Korrie.

The table and chairs are very pretty, and the fabric is perfect for you and your little birdies! (the kids)

fabulous job!
gail

Krista Aasen said...

I absolutely love this! Great job! and thank you so much for sharing it:) I was looking at that fabric today online. I love it... Was drawn to the meadow and summer... I love the fresh colours. Didn't realize the print was so large... Wow! It is gorgeous. Was also painting my dinning chairs white today... Lol

annies home said...

love it my mom is one of the biggest bird lovers and she would simply beg to have a set like this
looking good

come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Korrie, I love the dining set and the chair fabric is fabulous! Thanks for joining the Open House party and check out your feature this week at the Open House party.
Hugs,
Sherry