Thursday, October 13, 2011

Felt Leaves Garland


I spent the weekend before last at my parents’ home in Montana. I generally try to take a little project along with me, and this year it was the materials to make this leaf garland.
SewingArmoire 016
My next door neighbor had pointed out this one she liked from the Pottery Barn Kids magazine (click on the picture to go to the catalog page):
image
And I thought it was really cute. She watched my three-year-old for me while I was gone, so I decided to try to make her one for FAR less than $49!
SewingArmoire 015
I probably spent a whole $5 on felt. I printed out leaf pictures on paper, cut them out, and then traced them onto the felt.
SewingArmoire 009
I hand-drew the “veins” on the leafs with the cut-outs—and then cut them out! I used embroidery floss to stitch the veins on the other leaves.
I spaced each leaf about 8 inches apart, knotted onto simple seam binding.
SewingArmoire 011
I ended up making 23 different leaves…enough for two garlands (not bad for $5)!
One for my friend; one for me!
****************************************************
Linking up here and The DIY Show Off.

19 comments:

eleven-o-one said...

These are great! (Hey they ARE fabric...could be your next entry). Congrats on moving on. I'm very excited for you.
Fran

Karena said...

I adore this!! I am hoppin on this great project for Autumn!!

xoxo
Karena

Art by Karena

Jennifer Jill Araya said...

What a wonderful idea! I may have to try one of my own. :) Congrats on making it to the next round of Crafting with the Stars. I can't wait to see what you'll come up with next!


P.S. I've nominated you for an award! Check it out at jennjilldesigns.wordpress.com. :)

Something Nice and Pretty said...

That is adorable! So much better than $49.00, yours is ten times better!

Rachel said...

That is really cute Korrie! I like it better than the Pottery Barn one! I think I'd like to make one..... so adorable!

Sherry said...

You did a great job, saving money and crafting the leaves. It's difficult trying to tell the difference between yours and Pottery Barn!

Unknown said...

Yours is much nicer!!! Yeah! Can we be neighbors?;)

Valley Primitives Gift Shoppe said...

I love your leaf garland! Watch out Pottery Barn ;)
Kim

debbie~refreshrestyle.com said...

I love your leaves, they look great! $49---that's crazy!
Debbie

Olive said...

Very well done and I think better than the PB one. Visiting from 2805.

Honey at 2805 said...

Much better the PB! What kind of vitamins to you take? ;)

I appreciate you linking to Potpourri Friday! You are such a big help in making it a success!

Gypsy Heart said...

Cute, cute!

xo
Pat

Gypsy Heart said...

Cute, cute!

xo
Pat

Abby said...

As the friend that is the recipient, I am so lucky!
You are the best!

Pamela said...

WOW!! Love this transformation! Sharing on FB!

Twigs and Twirls said...

These look great !!!

~ Laura said...

Gorgeous!! I have a thing for Fall colors, especially leaves as we get NONE here in southern California! :) I'm inspired and might have to try this!!

Andi said...

Totally just pinned this!! LOVE it Korrie!

WhisperWood Cottage said...

Great, thrifty project, Korrie! I appreciate you linking up to The "Autumn DĂ©cor" Talent Scouting Party at WhisperWood Cottage!