Monday, August 30, 2010

It's not ALL about paint!

Sometimes paint just isn't the way to go...and yes, I know what I'm saying. Case in point: this chair (scroll to the end of the post). It has been restored to it's 1884 glory, and that's just as it should be.

"D" also had this amazing coffee table. Once again, I don't have a before picture--but the finish was faded and the varnish was peeling, and the whole thing was very wobbly and shaky.


Stripping and sanding this table was a nightmare! Look at all the amazing details on the legs and on the top edge.

I took the whole table apart so it could be re-glued. I finally found a use for the two boxes of copy paper I bought a couple of months ago--they made the perfect weights! I stained the table with Minwax Dark Walnut stain, and then I used Minwax hand-rubbed polyurethane for protection (I love that stuff).


I told "D" she is NEVER allowed to paint it! I love it just as it is. It still looks old, but it glows now.

Then she had another little table that belonged to her mother (no before picture here either ). The original finish was some yellowish-fake-wood-grain looking thing--I'm sure there's an actual name for that style, but I have no idea what it is! Then, because that was unattractive, it was painted white. The original wood was beautiful underneath.


I finished this table with a different product: Minwax Polyshades in antique walnut. Ugh. I don't care for it, and I wish I had stuck with the winning combination on the other table! However, the end result is still pretty.

The marble is original to the table, but it's not the "in" thing right now. I think we need to find a vintage-y covering for it now!



Photobucket
Birthday Wedding cakes crafts parties


HookingupwithHoH
Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

6 comments:

Maria said...

You are amazing. I think I'll just post that comment on every post. :) I esp love the bench you made! WOW!!

Bonnie @ House of Grace said...

Great tables!!! I love the details. Have a great week!
Bonnie :)

Miss Mustard Seed said...

The table looks gorgeous! Wow.

Yes, I do have letters and butterflies leftover. Send me an e-mail and let me know what you want. marian@missmustardseed.com

Kathy@ Gone North said...

Great looking tables! Since the marble is original...that is sort of "vintagey" :) You could remove it & have a mirror cut to fit... that is sort of in right now :)
Nice job on both!!!

Deborah@Green Willow Pond said...

I love the coffee table. It turned out gorgeous. I agree with you that sometimes paint is not the answer. I'll paint most anything, unless it is really beautiful solid wood. Especially with those carved details. Can you imagine getting paint out of those carvings when you get tired of paint?

Ashlee Marie said...

Wow! Makeovers with wood that detailed is tough! It looks great. You did a great job! Thanks for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesday!